RIVERSIDE'S AFFIRM MINISTRY
"We celebrate the richness that diversity brings to our church. We believe that diversity makes us stronger and better equipped to do God's work in the world."
from the Affirm Riverside Vision Statement
Our Marriage PolicyWe believe that marriage is a sacred gift through which two persons make a covenant. In marriage, we offer one another the promise of lifelong companionship, rich expression of human affections and sexuality, and nurture for the children. Marriage as an institution can undergird each relationship and provide stability for society. We affirm the value of marriage and that the church must work to care for the institution and to support those entering into a covenant relationship with each other. We acknowledge that marriage can also be destructive and that persons may need to leave the marriage relationship.
We believe that this unity is greater than the two individuals. It creates holy ground on which the two, and all others, must walk carefully and gently, yet forthrightly and with courage. It has boundaries, between them, and with others, that may not be trespassed. It takes precedence over other relationships. It calls for caring which heals hurt and tends growth.
We support and encourage the preparation for marriage as deemed reasonable by the Minister. We believe that the Sacred is all encompassing and that all locations inside and beyond the church building, deemed reasonable by the Minister, are suitable sites for the celebration of marriage vows. We proclaim our acceptance of all human beings as persons made in the image of God regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. We affirm the eligibility for marriage of any two persons who may legally marry, and that the suitability of persons for marriage shall be at the discretion of the Minister.
Walk with Us - Pride London Parade
Please join us in the celebration of Pride and our Affirming congregation! SIGN UP HERE
- DATE: Sunday July 28 2019 (rain or shine)
- TIME: The parade begins at 12:30 p.m. We will have groups carpooling to the parade after both worship services that morning. If you arrange for your own transportation, you will need to meet us at the Western Fairgrounds in advance of the start time (plan to be there an hour or so before).
- THE ROUTE: a 3 km journey from the Western Fair to Victoria Park . Along Queens Ave to Wellington St.
- PARKING: Personal parking- at the Western Fair District Market, Dundas and Ontario St. corner . OR closer to the park - free parking on city streets . Eg. Dufferin Ave, Dundas St. , Maitland St., William St. These are all west of Adelaide, about halfway to the park. you might want to plan with others re: picking up cars or be mindful of the walking back.
- Wear your brightly coloured Riverside t-shirts , and bring a bag lunch if wished, and water.
- If you are not able to walk, there are 4 spots in the Schneider truck.
HELP PLEASE! TRANSPORTATION SHUTTLE TO/FROM CHURCH
- If you can give a ride to the parade AND back (same passengers) please let BRENDA BENSON know by JULY 22. 519-474-4503.
- If you will need a ride to and back, call Brenda by JULY 22.
Your contact person:
- Brenda Benson ( Chair of Affirm)
- 519-474-4503 (can leave a message and phone number)